Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The way I write...

Following on from my previous post about writing sisters, I thought I'd give a few insights into the way I write, as opposed to the way, Virginia does it. Like I said, we're very different! In my early days of writing (and after realising with my first unpublished novel that I really badly need to plot) I started the process off with a longish synopsis, of up to four pages, and a more blurby type thing, both of which I gave to my then editor. Initially I started planning individual chapters, but I found that too stifling, so now my synopses tend to be divided into two or three parts and I give each a rough story arc, so I know where I want to be by the end of each part, and then flesh it out. Basically I get too impatient planning and the writing starts to escape with me (so much so, that sometimes things I've planned not to happen till part 3 turn up in part 1 which can be a bugger I can tell you.). I am allright with a basic skeleton, but anything more detailed and I am dead in the water. By trial and error I've also discovered that my early attempts which would involve writing, rewriting and fiercely editing the first few chapters made me want to slit my wrists, and leave me incapable of finishing the damned thing. So now I throw caution to the winds and just write till the story is out. Even if it's shit, I've got something down, which is a lot more satisfying than staring at a blank screen, I can tell you... I had always typed my first drafts up, till I was on holiday a few years ago and discovered that actually writing by hand is much more productive for me. For some reason I find it easier to get the basic story down. The typing up and faffing about when I realise things don't fit together very well is a damned nuisance, but I actually think I get a first draft out quicker that way. As a notorious procrastinator, I can waste HOURS of my life on twitter and Facebook while I'm supposed to be writing. This way, I take myself off to cafes and libraries to concentrate solidly for several hours at a time. On my best days I can get through at least three chapters, on my worst, one. And if anyone has been following me on FB recently, they might have noticed I've been doing a lot of cafe writing as I was working insanely hard to hit a tight deadline. One of the things I love about writing by hand, is that so long as I have a pad with me, I can do it anywhere. I know I could with a laptop, but I find the hassle of lugging one around a bit of a pain. And over the years as I've been sitting waiting for various children to finish various activities I find it's a great way to maximise moments I didn't know I had. Thus in January I found myself sitting in a cafe in Hammersmith waiting for inspiration. A blank page can be intimidating too, but when you are stuck somewhere for three hours, and you don't have access to the internet, and you have nothing else to do, it is AMAZING how words do come out. Even if you have to force yourself to put pen to paper.
Some days I visit more than one cafe. After about an hour I get bored, so a change of scenery works for me. Though I have to fight with the temptation to run home and go and lie down (Writing frequently makes me want to lie down and go back to sleep) I try to resist the urge. I find this can be helpful to the creative process too. As if I am stuck and can't think where to go next, invariably by the time I get to my next location, I have found a solution of sorts to my problem (even as if frequently when I come to rewrite it's not the right solution. So long as it's enough to move me on, that is good enough for me.)
By the time I am at the end, I am quite demented. Scribbling notes in the column (as I've done in the pic below) to remind myself of where I'm going with the damned thing. But OH the relief when I finally get to the end. I actually never type the end, which is a hangover from my editing days as I know it always gets edited out, so I don't see the point. But nonetheless, there's a great sense of satisfaction when I DO get there.
The end though, isn't really the end. It's the beginning. Particularly when you are mad enough to write by hand. My next stage is typing up - I always try to type up as a I go and then get into the writing and that all goes for a burton. Suffice to say I had ten days in which to type up my first draft and get it knocked into a good enough shape to send to my editor this time. And pray WHAT did I do with all that time. Oh yes, I procrastinated HUGELY. For which I was kicking myself last Tuesday when I realised I had left myself very little time to edit. Although to be fair, I edit as I type, so the first printed draft, is in effect a second draft.
And by the time I'm done I usually have a very stiff neck, and my wrists fill like they're going to fall off. At this point in the process I usually hate the book with a passionate loathing. Especially when I read it through and think all the things all writers do, like it's shit, why would anyone buy this/read this, why do I bother? This dear reader, is part of the process, and has to be got through. It is just as illusory as the other reaction you go through when you're thinking, this is it! I am on fire! This is the best thing I've ever written etc! What then usually happens is a far more sensible response. I scribble notes on the second draft, and go through it one more time. By the end of which I can see further tweaks, which need sorting, and I am far more likely to be of the mind that it's ok, I have written a story, which needs lots of work, but I'm heading in the right direction. This is my fourth draft, and this is the one I send my editor.
At this point I do breathe a sigh of relief, because now it's out of my hair for a bit, although the writer who told me many years ago sending of an ms to an editor is a bit like sending off a job application wasn't far off the mark. There's always the worry your editor/agent will hate it but you have to hope it won't come to that... And while I am waiting, I can spend a bit of time researching more information for the book which I didn't have time to do in the writing process, and selecting songs for my playlist (I always have a soundrack to my books, I shall post the latest one when I've worked it up more), and pay a little attention to sorting my domestic life out. In two weeks time my edits will come in and everything else will go for a burton, so I have to make hay while the sun shines! If you want to know more about the way I write and meet me in person talking to my twin sister Virginia Moffatt about the way she does, check this out. Virginia is crowdfunding to publish her amazing book, Echo Hall with Unbound.co.uk, here: here You can help her do it by pledging to join us for tea! Or if you can't do that, there are other pledges you can make. And if that's not your bag either, please do feel free to share on FB and twitter! Many thanks

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas l Raviv Dozetas

Matthew said...

As a writer myself I find this very interesting! I’ve finished a travel book for which I’m currently seeking publication, and now I’m working on a science epic which has been many years in the planning. I know what you mean about the tension between planning and writing the damn thing... there’s only so much detailed planning you can do before your brain turns to mush... anyway I am writing the damn thing now. Thanks for the insights into how a published author of several books goes about the process.

Anonymous said...

Having just picked up your book entitled ‘A merry little Christmas’, and not having read anything of yours before ..... I read the first few pages to discover a character with cystic fibrosis.... I have a child with cystic fibrosis, so you can imagine how shocked I was to discover the total lack of research that you put in to knowledge of having a child with cf. I’ve put the book down now and darent read any more ...... my daughter has a wheel chair for days out purely so she doesn’t get tired, she can bathe and lift herself... intact she has all straight A’s in her GCSEs and is to complete her ALevels. She has problems with her lungs, pancreas and bowels mainlywhich can cause other issues such as arthritis and diabetes and some liver problems ...... but I’ve never considered her as an “ overgrown child” .... she’s about to embark on a career as a tattoo artist and she is also a piano teacher ..... highly misplaced research and extremely upsetting comments ...

Edward said...

among many others is proven great male enhancement treatments. Most of the herbs have temporary effects on the penis size as well as the improvement in erection.BioRexin Male Enhancement

Lara said...

bluoxyn absolute myth and that foods doesn't exists.best way to tackle such situation is to tackle it head on we will have a little debate between the two schools of thought to finally determine whether is a myth or a too good be true reality.

Lara said...

Such situation is to tackle it head on we will have a little debate between the two schools of thought to finally determine whether is a myth or a too good be true reality.you can implement it on purpose.intelimind Brain

Edward said...

The vague theories are the ones that just state Of course that's not going to give you the results you want. If you don't know how those foods actually burn fat you won't implement them the right way.Celaxryn RX

Lara said...

if you have a solid theory, you can implement it on purpose and use the foods that the right way and get the results you want all you need is a proper theory and not the many vague ones.Prime X Factor

Edward said...

more importantly, if you try a male enhancement product and find yourself to be that 1 out of 10 men that the product does not work for, most makers offer a 30 day money back guarantee that states that you simply return the unused product and they will refund your money.Viril XL AlphaMAX Pro

Edward said...

Taking into account the aforementioned points, it is unfortunate to note that there are actually some weight loss programs that in an attempt to show prompt results incorporate the use of diuretics to give the illusion of weight loss.Al Roker Weight Loss

Edward said...

The three main categories of male enhancement pills (supplements) on the internet are semen volume enhancement pills, penis enlargement pills and pills targeted to increase libido.Most of these products share several common traits including: made from natural ingredients,Bluoxyn

Edward said...

True Keto Boost that I've found with the quick weight loss diets and the low-calorie "starvation" diets is that they do not promote safe weight loss. Typically, when pounds drop off much of it is water from lean muscle tissue, and very little of it is actually what you really want to come off.

Ellisa said...

If you go online to make your quest Granite Male Enhancement concerning the different types of male pills nowadays.each of these products has a different way of helping men to attain a much better performance in bed.

Edward said...

you guys about paid traffic and what Empowered Boost it can do for your business. Paid traffic can be a powerful way to boost your business online. There are a lot of ways to get paid traffic like, pay per click marketing, solo ads in ezines, press releases, banner ads, ppv ads, buying youtube accounts, and more.

Edward said...

When there is not much physical Eclipse Keto work and there is too much stored calories from food intake, fats accumulate and are stored in areas like the abdomen, the thighs, arms and the back. Fat accumulations in the body make for not only an unattractive sight, but it is unhealthy as well.

Edward said...

When it comes to the Thunderbirds, Thunder Testosterone scholars of mythology strongly suggest that this creature is just the embellishment of the California condor, eagles, or the extinct teratorns. However, to my way of thinking, one doesn't usually associate birds with thunder and lightning storms).

Edward said...

However, this range is not universally Absolute Keto accepted and some people say the fat burning zone occurs at a different percentage range. In truth, each individual has a different heart rate where they will burn the highest percentage of calories from fat during exercise.

Smith said...

Once the ingredients are Pro Keto Rx in your bloodstream they head for the thyroid gland since this is what regulates your metabolism.

Nurirol said...

it will be and you'll be Keto Shred Biotic Immunity Booster more successful. The most important tool is knowledge. If you want to burn fat fast you will need to know how to do it properly so that you can achieve not only quick, but also long lasting results.

Lara said...

However with this type of PuriGlow Cream face lift treatment you should know that you will not get overnight result. Any product that promises overnight result is misleading.

Blicen said...

Well known for its nature of Cylophin RX increasing sexual performance even if the consumer has erectile dysfunction. This power herb can give you awesome result that you can have several orgasms within the night.

Edward said...

By increasing androgenic effects Formax Lean Male Enhancement and Formax Lean Male Enhancement dramatically increasing testosterone, Tongkat Ali increases sexual arousal and motivation and frequency of sexual activity.

Edward said...

more calories then you consume the well accepted Befit Keto Cut will cause you to lose weight. To some degree, they all work: Atkins-style, no carb diets, low fat high carb diets, all manner of fad diets - it simply does not matter in the short term.

Edward said...

Here in this article we are going Viadine Male Enhancement to go over a few of my favourite natural male enhancement tips. However, before I get into it, it's probably quite important for you to recognise that being the writer of literally hundreds and hundreds of male enhancement articles and blog posts.

Jeff hardy said...

The solutions for weight loss before might Keto Now Real not be so effective with today's lifestyle. If you're overweight, there's not doubt you'd like to start losing belly fat. Here are some basic guidelines to help you get started.

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Wanna RITE with me in Seventh-Heaven?
Follow the King o'Kings Home.
GBY