Friday, February 01, 2008

Tax Exile is put on hold

... till next year anyway. Which is a shame really as I thought we could have all had a really nice time for at least six months in the Seychelles.

However, after discovering I am not seen as a persona grata vis a vis Spouse's tax, I did discover that if I was prepared to drive to our nearest tax office in Sutton, I could pay the cheque in there.

So straight after school, I took off with nos 2&4 (no 1 has dancing and no 3 has gone to a friend's)only for no 4 to flake out on me as she is coming down with a nasty cold and eye infection. Why nothing in my life is ever straightforward I don't know...

Anyway I managed to cajole her into the car, though I did have to carry her at the other end.
We made it to the tax office, which despite my having to be let in by a security guard, seemed very lax when I got up there. No one was at reception and the person who accepted my cheque wasn't going to give me a receipt. In fact, she only gave me an acknowledgement, when requested, not a receipt, so fuck knows what happens if very large cheque goes missing now...

Is it any wonder those disks went missing? And I wonder how many tax returns our safe as well (not many I suspect).

But apparently my grilling at the hands of the Obergruppefuhrer this afternoon is part of a tightening up of procedures.

Why oh why, don't I feel reassured by that?

I feel the Seychelles calling....

Only now I don't have any money to get there...

5 comments:

Nic said...

Hello! I am SOOO glad we don't have to do this!

There is a "You make my day" -award button waiting for you in my blog! Go get it and pass it on.

Jane Henry said...

Oh thanks Nic! I will do....

Political Umpire said...

One year the IR sent me a cheque for £300 and a request that I pay them £1.60. I rang up and said that this was ridiculous - did these chaps not speak to each other? They said not to worry as it was an insignificant sum.

Next year the total had increased to £3.20. So I wandered over to Bush House in my lunchtime with cash in hand. They said bluntly 'we can't take cash here ... You have to ring so and so'.

I wonder how many other entities/individuals in the country would object to being paid 3 quid in cash. So I refused to pay it. Still haven't, three years on. Waiting for my court summons.

Kate Hardy said...

Course, you could wuss out the way I do and pay it by BACS: you have proof you paid it and don't have to worry.

Kate Hardy said...

PS - your post about Primeval cracked me up.

Kids say the most brilliant things, don't they? My fave from another friend was an innocent, 'Was Daddy a dinosaur?'